Timeline to Bethany

Tracing the sequence of events leading up to the adoption of my daughter.

Monday, October 30, 2006

Getting Closer

March 31/06 - I met with Nancy, who would become my provincial adoption worker, mainly to get information. I did not sign anything at that time but Nancy gave me info on both domestic and international adoption. I was just starting a new job and had enough on my plate for the time being so didn't pursue this any further at that time.

Late July - I was in the library and came across a book called "China Doll" - I was not looking for anything about China or adoption. This is a novel about a single woman who adopts from China and it got me thinking again.

Early August - I was at my sister's when I finished reading "China Doll" and I mentioned my interest to her. This sister later gave a reference for me and, with her husband, agreed to be guardians for my daughter should something happen to me. I started looking up info. I got the names of 2 agencies, FOI and CB, from the website of the Adoption Support Centre of Saskatchewan. On the FOI website, I found info about the Yahoo group, Canadians Adopting From China - I joined that group, and eventually several others relating to China and adoption. I got a lot of info and encouragement from these groups which are actually online support groups. I also started hearing rumors that China might close to singles and decided if I am going to do this, it will have to be now.

End of August - I started contacting independant practitioners for my homestudy. Lorraine from Saskatoon said they had used Michelle and liked her. I didn't get her on the phone the first time I tried so I kept calling others. The only one I got on the phone the first try said she wouldn't be available for a couple of months. The secretary of another called back to say her boss would be able to call next week. By that time I had been in contact with Michelle (I think on the last Tuesday of August). I also sent my registration to FOI.

Sept. 2/06 - Michelle came for my initial homestudy visit, only about 4 days after I spoke with her. She is as nice as Lorraine said!

Sept. 7/06 - Michelle came for 2nd visit.

Sept. 12/06 - I met Michelle at Grainfields for 3rd visit. After this, she emailed the first draft of the homestudy to me, I made corrections, additions, etc. and emailed it back.

Sept. 30/06 - We signed off on the homestudy - we couldn't do it sooner because it has to be at least 4 weeks after 1st visit!

First week of October - Michelle took my homestudy to Nancy at DCRE. Nancy only works part time so I didn't get to meet with her until the 19th.

October 19/06 - I met with Nancy, gave her the rest of my dossier and talked for almost an hour about adoption issues. She is so nice. I am very blessed to have such great people to work with.

October 27/06 - I bought the money orders that needed to go to the agency at this time and dropped them off with Nancy. She is waiting for her supervisor to sign the letter of approval so she can send my dossier to the agency.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home